Monday, September 15, 2008

The Plan

So to reach the goal of building a car, it has been broken down into several steps which are as follows.

1. Buy a donor car.

Back in April '08 I had the good fortune to have totaled my Mazda RX-8. It was a sexy car for sure, but I took the opportunity (and money from the insurance co.) to purchase the donor car for my project - A 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra. A 4.6L small block V8 producing 300+ HP.

2. Get a garage.

Seems obvious, but having a place to work on the car is pretty crucial. At the end of July '08, we finally found a home - with a 2 car garage - in Cary, NC.

3. Acquire a daily driver for the build duration.

Yep, can't drive it while it's being built! On September 13 '08 Diana and I drove to Smithfield to pick up a Pickup. '98 Ford Ranger.

4. Break down the mustang.

This should start in the next few weeks as I prove that the truck is roadworthy. I intend to clean all the parts and do a thorough job scouring for parts I can sell off the mustang. Plus, the more thorough I am, the longer before I need to have the cash to order the cobra kit.

5. Order the kit/build a car.

As soon as I have the loot, this is going down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you got the truck!
-Sean

Chris said...

Thanks dude! It needs a little love, but I think is good enough to start on the project :-D