Friday, August 14, 2009

or an engine upgrade?

So I've ditched the idea of putting a blower on this thing. I am skeptical about how the old engine would handle it and I don't really want to rebuild it. Instead, the plan is to go with the old N/A regulars - cams intake & tune. I figure I could easily see an extra 35 horse with that, which would put me at or above 300 at the wheels. Could always delete the cats too and pick up a few more.

Still holding off on the idea of switching to 3.73s in the differential. I like the highway cruise at 2K rpm too much.

3 comments:

BrandonDrums said...

That's a touch decision with the rear end, you could have some blistering acceleration if you swapped it. But I'm with you, I think being able to cruise at 2k is good, PLUS with as much power to weight you have it would probably get pretty hairy if you drop the final gear. It would be just a monster drift car. Then again, it could kick pretty nice

Unknown said...

These modular motors really don't see big gains with ported heads and cams naturally aspirated. They love boost, though. I understand what you mean about the miles, but the tune will give you more of a power increase than the heads, cams, and intake. Not to mention, 4V cams are big $. You'll be close to 300 at the wheels, but it's more expensive than you may think.

Chris said...

The blocks love boost but the internals aren't really made for it. To _reliably_ boost this sucker is gonna require some new components. The '96 pistons & rods are all cast instead of forged and at 160,000 miles I wouldn't want to boost it without rebuilding the engine with forged guts.

I think the tune will be the best way to go and I'll probably get it tuned between each NA change.