Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mysterious dash light outage - solved!

On the way home from work today I bought a new tap and handle. I had the steering column fixed in about 30 seconds. Wow, it's amazing how much better it feels now that the wheel is tightly connected to the rack.

On my way to work this morning, my dash lights went out. I figured I must have knocked some wires loose while I was working on the steering column. So after I fixed the steering column, I popped the dash bolts off and started looking for the wiring problem. Everything was looking fine, so I followed the power wire from the lights back to the fuse box and to the switch. No disconnections...

So I started thinking about the LEDs I'm using to light the dash. They are 12v LEDs and they are ON or OFF. Nothing in between. There is a chance that I'm not putting out quite 12v. Too bad my volt gauge is in the truck. hmmm back to the fuse box.

I guess there is a CHANCE that I blew a fuse rather than my wiring being weak and sucky. Haha, I should have more faith in myself. I blew a fuse - that probably is the result of me jostling around down there, but I threw a smaller fuse in real quick just to test and sure enough it works. A quick trip to the store to buy another supply of fuses and I'm good to go!

Also, I did a ton of wheel calculations and decided I need to go with 9" wheels in the back running 275mm tires. 10.5" wheels running 315s will not fit in the well. The 9" wheels only stick out .78 inches further than my current wheels. I need to order those soon. Since I don't have to wait for my suspension to be on to do 9" wheels I can get those ordered any time.

No comments: