Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wobbly steering and air tight cabin

So I have some good news and some bad news to report - don't worry nothing too bad. I'll start with the good news.

Since I've been without my truck for most of December, I have come to discover the need to windproof the cobra. I sprayed some great stuff expanding foam between the footbox and the body. This stops wind from coming in from under the hood. There is still wind coming from the cracks between the door and the body though. So I ordered some weatherstripping from a forum vendor. I gotta tell you, it's a world of difference. I actually had to cut the heat off today!

The next bit of good news is that I now have 2 of the 3 suspension components necessary to do my suspension upgrade. Also, I've started researching what size wheels will fit.

The 3rd piece of good news is that I found out why my steering wheel has the wobbly play in it before engaging the rack. There were 2 little cone washers that were supposed to go in between the upper rack and the lower rack. These press outward like springs and take up the slack.

Now for the bad news. I don't have those washers - I guess they got lost in all my backordered steering parts. So I decided to drill and tap the lower column so I could use a set screw. I went to the store and bought some set screws for my 1/4 20 tap. Then the trouble started.

* Drilling a hole in the lower steering column is tough because it's in the footbox and flops around when not connected to the upper column. Also, my headlamp died right in the middle of this operation. So after laying my lamp on the floor, I zip tied the steering column to a frame brace on the car to keep it from moving and lifting up as I drill. I Successfully drilled the hole in the steering column.

* My tap handle is being borrowed at the moment so I fumbled around with pliers and other stupid wrong pieces of hardware until I decided to put the tap in the drill chuck. Finally started making some progress when...SNAP. Yep I broke the tap off. Great, now I can't even put my steering wheel back in to go get another one. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even get the broken shard out.

* That is when I decided to use Carl's air hammer to try to break it out. After charging up the tank I took the air hammer to it and it was awesome. My new favorite tool! It was like BZZZT and that little chunk of metal went flying. So I can put the shafts back together now and drive tomorrow. I'll get a new tap and handle so I can finish the tap and tighten down the set screw.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, air tools rock! Sorry to hear about the trouble, but at least you got it back together.