Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Interior & Fuel Lines

The next step is cleaning out the interior - I've really been looking forward to this step! While I waited for Tom to come over to help me with the fuel lines left over from the last step, I started unbolting the seats. The rear bolts go through to the underside of the car and were extremely rusty. I had a very very hard time breaking these loose and unscrewing them. When I finally finished, I set the seats down in the garage facing the driveway and sat down in one to drink a beer. Right about then, Tom showed up. Tom had the idea of relieving the fuel pressure at the fuel pump; instead of by cutting the lines, we would just disconnect them. Sounded like a good idea, and Tom volunteered to take this task on. It went quite well, very anticlimactically actually. The manual is very unclear about which parts of the fuel line we need to reuse, so we decided not to cut anything at this time.

With the fuel lines dealt with, it was time to get the back seat out of the car. After hurting my back trying to brute force the seat out, we resorted to the Chilton's manual for instructions. This guide has already proved itself extremely valuable. Here is a picture Diana took of Tom and I disconnecting the center console.

After we finished with that, we pulled the carpet out. One word: NASTY. It was pretty disgusting, smelly, and just plain out gross. Tom even ran into a wet bit of carpet - I can't even begin to imagine what the heck that was.

Once we finished with the carpet, console, and seats, we pulled out the aftermarket stereo cables and had another beer while relaxing on the front seats. I gotta tell you, these seats are actually very very comfortable. Like little mini couches.

No comments: