Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Step 3: ABS


When I got home from work today, I mowed the yard and double checked my diagrams for the Antilock Brake System. I decided it would be easiest to remove if I pulled a few of the A/C lines. So I mapped out the Engine bay portion of the A/C and then discovered that you need a special tool to disconnect those lines...I'll worry about that later. So instead I decided to pull the Intake off. It was REALLY dirty, I doubt that is as been cleaned in 20,000 miles. There were leaves and tape wrapped around it haha!

So after I finished that, Diana got home and helped me to get the ABS unit out. I cut the brake lines while Diana unscrewed the mounting bracket. We drained it out and lowered it down without much fuss. Well...I turned the steering wheel so we could get better access to the unit and a good bit of brake fluid pumped out onto the floor. No prob I threw the 'nasty towel'* on it - should be soaked up in no time. We labeled the ABS unit and then cleaned up. Now it's time to eat!


* The nasty towel is what I have used to cleanup all the spilled radiator coolant/power steering fluid/brake fluid etc. It has this weird attribute of never drying out. It keeps absorbing, but never gets drippy. It stinks pretty bad though :-P

No comments: