Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Little stuff

I had about 4 or 5 hours of cobra time today. I was hoping Diana could work with me but she took allergy medicine and fell asleep :-/ Anyhow, I got the speakers pulled, the rear bumper off, the tail lights off, rear seat-belts out, the entire rear harness labeled and removed, and made an attempt at getting the convertible top off.

Here is the rear harness hanging up in the garage. I had to loop it over the hook 3 times to keep it from draping onto the garage floor. Now that the dash and rear harnesses are out, there are (almost) no wires behind the firewall. The exceptions to that all under the car - transmission, O2 sensors, gas tank, etc. So everything was going great and I had come to a point where I had to decide on what to do next. It was either front wiring harness or convertible top.

Tom had mentioned an interest in working on removing some wiring harnesses with me, although I expect he was mostly interested in the dash and rear harnesses which are now done (sorry), but that let me to work on the convertible top. I broke loose all the huge bolts and undid all of them. After working through some tool failure (ahem, the socket wrench) all the bolts were off and I decided to try to lift it out. The canvas top is connected to the car by the most retardulous design. You can't lift it up because the canvas is connected, and you can't undo the canvas because the thing is all sitting on top of it. Even after I pulled it up and rested it on the little back windows O_o I discovered another inconvenience - ford used crap nuts (yes folks, crap nuts) to hold the canvas on. They are something like 16mm 20 point nuts made of extremely soft plastic. Diana put it best when she said they might be made out of chocolate. I don't have anything that can get them off and I pretty much ruined one with a pair of pliers. It's irritating anyway because you can't expose the second one until the first one is off and you lift the top up more. Look at the picture of this crap nut.

One thing I do have going for me, is that I don't *NEED* the convertible top. So if I really can't get it off, I can just rip it out of there and throw it away - which is far more satisfying than just leaving it on there to get scrapped. Plus then I would have revenge on it for pissing me off.

So although I only got to check off 2 items for the donor list (fuel inertia cutoff switch and rear wiring harness) almost all the sellable items are off the car. Pretty much the only things left are the side skirts and the convertible top. The rear quarter panels are welded on unfortunately so I don't think I'll be getting them off. Now I just need a genius way to sell all this crap off...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Again I must remind you that you have poor, poor taste in cars and could be working on something like this:

http://jalopnik.com/5067674/man-restores-griff-tannens-hover-bmw-from-back-to-the-future-2

Or if you continue to insist on the Cobra, at least put in this engine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__BMW-M5-M6-V10-S85-Engine-Motor-7spd-SMG-Trans-and-DME_W0QQitemZ370092987170QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQddiZ2811QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370092987170&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The Buy It Now is UNDER $20,000! How can you turn that down?

Chris said...

Once a Logan, always a Logan.