Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Only 1 CEL!

I did some basic testing with the engine running and found the alternator to be doing NOTHING. After about 10 minutes of idling, I had dropped from 11.3v to 10.3v. I called up Josh, who is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm glad I did because I was ready to buy a new alternator.

Turns out the alternator has a line that runs through the gauge pod. There is something in the pod that gives it some resistance - a light or something - and without this resistance the alt DOES NOT CHARGE. I plugged the gauge pod in and it charged up fine. Since I'm still waiting on my gauge conversion kit from FFR, I just had the pod sitting out - hell it seemed to run fine without it.

Also, I wired the ACC up directly with the ignition ON and it fixed the problem with the windshield wipers not working. So my 'on' switch - 'push button' start combo is all wired up and working now. I'm gonna change out some plugs to some heavier gauge stuff, but it'll be done soon.

Oh here is a piece of good news - After having wired everything crucial up and driven it around the neighborhood several times, I only have 1 engine code - smog pump circuit! That is exactly what I was hoping for (I removed the smog circuit and haven't flashed it out yet) So things are back and track and going well once again - though this one had me a little worried

No comments: