Saturday, December 13, 2008

Egad brakes suck...

I've basically been treading water for a few days on the brake lines. The (main) trouble is that the tool I bought to flare the brake lines doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is because the lines are too hard or if the tool just sucks, but it is not properly flaring. So I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 options after trying a few things:

1. Get a more expensive flare tool.
Upside: All the lines would be perfect fits.
Downside: More chance of a leak from a bad flare, chance this tool will suck too.

2. Buy pre-flared lines of the 'right' size and adapters for the ends.
Upside: No flares to do! No chance of a misshapen flare. No wasted money on bad/once used tools.
Downside: Adapters means more chances of a leak, lines wont be perfect fits, have to find all the right sized adapters.


Well, I mounted the Anti-Lock Brake System Controller last night. This was a little challenging because the older style models are huge, and the manual doesn't have anything in it about where to mount it. I think the typical donor car does not use ABS. But given I'm building this car to withstand weather, I think I want ABS for the rain. Although an on/off switch would be awesome. Here is a pic of the mounted unit, as you can see I had to make some stuff up for it because they don't have a prefabbed mounting position on the frame.

No comments: