Saturday, December 6, 2008

Steerin'


With the pedals in and the hydrobooster loosely fitted, I decided to go ahead and start on the steering system even without my back-ordered part. I got the donor steering rack in and bolted up - only to realize that it seemed really loose. I poured through the bags of donor parts and found the steering rack bag which had some rubber bushings I forgot to put in. SO, I had to unbolt it and remove it and slap those bushings in. It wasn't too bad though, so after I put the rack in the 2nd time, I attached the tie rods and gave the car a 'rough alignment'.

Then I deciphered some more instructions and despite the manual giving me the wrong part numbers - and wrong box location - I managed to get the upper steering column mostly fitted. I had to grind a bracket down a bit so it would lay flush, but it wasn't too tough. Once that back-ordered part comes in the steering will be finished.

No comments: