Sunday, December 21, 2008

Engine prep starts


I wrapped up a bunch of loose ends on the chassis and then got to work preparing for the engine install. First I removed the smog related stuff and removed the belt and cleaned it up a bit. It's certainly not a show-queen, but it's a lot better :-P Then I put the dead-pulley in place where the A/C compressor was and re-routed the belt. After that I bolted the transmission mount up to the frame.

Before








After








So left to do before installing the engine and transmission are these:
1) Fix a broken exhaust manifold stud and a stripped stud. I want someone who has done this before to help - I'm nervous because the aluminum block is softer than the stud.
2) Re-route the EGR using the smog pump stuff. (requires some ingenuity and welding). I need someone who can weld to hook me up on this one.
3) Block off all open EGR, smog, and vacuum openings. I hear that the EGR port is really hard to block off because the threads are odd shaped. Hopefully the smog port wont be too bad. I might just order an EGR blockoff kit just for the EGR plug. What to use to block off the vacuum lines? I heard irrigation plugs will work.
4) Swap out the oil pan. I can't do this one until the engine is up on the hoist. That should be fun...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You can get vacuum caps at most auto parts stores. Packs of ~5 caps are, like, $2.

Here's a search at Autozone.com:

http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,vacuum+cap/shopping/accessoriesResults.htm

And here's Advance Auto Parts:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryCode=4016

Also, have you thought about painting your exhaust manifolds? Header paint's a little more expensive than regular spray paint, but not incredibly so: it's like $10. You could do shiny, or just black. Either way looks better than, you know, rust.

Chris said...

Good to know about the vacuum caps - I'll have to pick up a pack. I have thought about painting the exhaust manifolds. In fact, I painted with VHT flat black about a month ago :-P Definitely a good idea - they probably wont be too visible in that engine bay, but yeah...rust looks bad.

Anonymous said...

The the gods proclaim! The SCRUM MASTER. KING OF THE UNIVERSE! (Start Derek Sherinian key riff)